Министерство образования Российской Федерации
Южный институт менеджмента
Кафедра иностранных языков
На тему: How to make career in hotel industry.
Выполнила студентка, 2 курс
Руководитель: Хохлова Лариса
- The hotel complex as an object of the management
- The main services of the hotel.
- Classification of the hotels.
- The peculiarites of the hotel service.
- The structure of the management in the lodging industry.
- The main methods of the management of the hospitality business.
- The managers role in the lodging industry. Managers functions and operations.
- Decision-making key of manager career.
- The role of the communication in the managers career.
- The management of time.
- Where one can begin the managers career.
I. Our society is made up of all kinds of organizations, such as companies, government, departments, unions, hospitals, schools and the like. They are essential to our existence, helping to create our standard of living and our quality of life. In all these organizations, there are people carrying out the work of a manager. The role of the manager is particularly significant in such social sphere as the lodging industry.
The lodging industry is the most important element of the social sphere. It plays the leading part in the increase of the public production and accordingly in the uplifting of living standards.
II. One can designate the hotel as an enterprise rendering service to the people, which are out of doors. The service of the placing and the nourishment is the leading one at the hotel.
1) The hotel apartments are the basic element of the placing service. They are intended for the rest, sleeping and work of the guests. In additional the placing service includes the service, which is done by the personal of the hotel. These are reception and official registration of the guests, cleaning the rooms and others.
The nourishment consists of different processes:
- process of production (preparation of dishes),
- trade process (sale of the food products),
- service process (service of the guests by the waiters at the restaurant, in the rooms).
The additional service includes swimming-pools, conference halls, hair-dressers, massage-room and many other things. The hotel is distinguished by the additional service among other hotels.
Therefore this service is very important by the forming of the attractiveness of the hotel.
Among the main services of the hotel one can also distinguish the reserving the place, the facilities, the receiving and the service of the exploitation of the apartment fund.
2) The service of the nourishment, the placing service and the additional service are formed different at the hotels. And so one can designate several types of the hotels.
The first class hotels are usually situated in the center of the city. The skilled staff ensures the high level of the service. The clients of this kind of the hotel are businessmen, participants of the conferences and other rich men.
The health-resort hotel is situated in the health-resort country. It includes the medical service and the dietary nourishment.
The motel is located near the motor roads and in the suburbs. The clients of the motel are tourists, particularly motor tourers.
The middle class hotels render the broad service. The prizes depend on the situation of the hotel. The leading types of the hotels are the business and health-resort ones, because 50% of the journeys are made with business purpose, and holiday are treatment purpose determines 40% of the journeys.
The hotels are classified by the level of the comfort, the capacity of the hotel, the purpose of the hotel, the situation of the hotel, the duration of the work, the providing with the nourishment, the duration of the stay at the hotel, the level of the prices.
3) The peculiarities of the hotel service are:
- The processes of the production and the consumption are not synchronous. This means that several kinds of service do not connect with the presence of the client (cleaning the rooms).
- Limited possibility of the keeping.
- Urgency of the service. The problem concerning the service must be solved very quickly. The urgency and the situation of the hotel are the most important factors by the choice of the hotel.
- The broad participation of the staff in the production process. Personal service cannot be mechanized or automated. Some technologies are being instituted to speed up routine tasks, but the human element is the determining one of the hospitality business. Therefore the problem of the standardization is significant in the lodging industry. The standards of the service are worked out at many hotels. They are the rules of the service, which guarantee the level of quality of all operations. These are the time of the official registration, the knowledge of foreign languages and the out-word appearance of the personal. The work at the hotel brings the employee into contact with people from all walks of life. Guests will include the wealthy and the poor, engaging and obnoxious. Each guest offers the employee an opportunity learns more about human nature. Employees not only have direct responsibility for guest service, the also have the benefit of witnessing the guests satisfaction. The managers generally need more hands-on experience before assuming managerial positions. The skills of understanding, motivation and directing people can best be developed through experience.
- Seasonal demand for the hotel service. It has an influence on the loading of the hotel.
- Interdependency between the hotel service and the purpose of the traveling.
III. The structure of the management in the lodging industry consists of administrative secnating.
In the lodging industry there are three types of the structure:
1) Lineal structure. Every section has the manager who is responcible for the activities of this section. This manager submits to the higher manager. The advantages of this structure are the clear responsibility, the simplicity of the management. But the manager must be very skilled to manage all processes. Besides that there are too many contacts with the subordinamper the work of the manager.
2) The functional structure. The main idea is that the specialists perform the separate functions and they are united in departments. The advantages of the functional structure are the high competence of the specialists, standardization and the programming of the processes. The main problem of this structure is the excessive centralization.
3) Lineal-functional. It includes the special sections by the lineal managers. Among the advantages one can account the co-operation of the experts and the better preparation of the decisions and plans. The defects of this structure are the unclear responsibility and the absence of the connections between departments.
In addition to the usual management positions, multi-unit companies may have area, district, and regional and/or corporate-level management. There may be several separate departments operating at a hotel, requiring frequent communication among staff members to co-ordinate their activities.
The administrative structure of the hotel depends on its purpose, capacity and the specific character of the guests.
IV. Among the main methods of the management in the lodging industry we can number economic, administrative and social psychological methods.
The leading idea of the economic method is to make such kind of the conditions to the staff, in which it can take into account at most the consequences of its administrative and production activities.
The administrative method is based on the directive instructions. The main purpose of the social-psychological method is the forming of the positive climate in the collective. The success of the activities of the manager depends in the main on his ability to work with people and on right using all these methods.
V. A French industrialist, Henri Fayol, wrote in 1916 a classic definition of the managers role. He said that to manage is “to forecast and plan, to organize, to command, to coordinate and to control.” This definition is still accepted by many people today, though some writers on management ha