All-round competition for men consists of all six events. In national and international competitions, an all-around competitor must perform a compulsory routine in each event. This routine involves a set sequence of movements. The gymnast then performs an optional routine in each of the six events, doing whatever movements he chooses. Only all-around gymnasts compete in international competition.
Vocabulary and Speech Exercises
Ex. 1. Look at the pictures and name the events a mens gymnastic competition consists of. Put the pictures in the events performing order.
Ex. 2. Say which English sentence contains Russian equivalent term:
- The parallel bars is the apparatus that is used for mens training.
- He is a champion in the floor exercises.
- A gymnast must be very strong to perform on the rings.
- The vaulting horse is shared by both men and women.
- The horse vault is performed on a stand that resembles the pommel horse but has no pommels.
- The rings is an event held on two wooden rings suspended from cables.
- The parallel bars are used only by men.
- The horizontal or high bar produces probably the most exciting moments in gymnastics.
- The pommel horse event is performed on a piece of equipment called a horse.
- The most difficult apparatus for me is the ...
- Our national team was the best team in the ...
- He was the best on the ...
- His favourite apparatus was the ...
Ex. 4. Read the text. Insert the missing terms from the list:
floor exercises, rings, vaulting horse, pommel horse, horizontal bar, parallel bars
Many young men and women go in for gymnastics in our republic. They have necessary facilities, equipment and coaching in gymnastics. The gymnasts take part in competitions. Each gymnast may perform exercise on apparatus and the ... . There are some kinds of apparatus for men and women and the ... and the ... for both of them.
It is necessary to distinguish the pieces of apparatus for supporting position and hanging position.
Among pieces of apparatus for supporting position the following are considered: the ... and ..., and among apparatus for handing position: the ... and ... .
Ex. 5. Explain the terms used in gymnastics:
Ex. 6. Name:
the types of gymnastics competitions;
the events of which a mens gymnastics competition consist;
the floor exercises;
the exercises on the pommel horse;
the exercises on the rings;
the exercises on the parallel bars;
the exercises on the horizontal bars.
Ex. 7. Say what you know about:
the order of performing the events in a mens gymnastics competition;
the floor exercises;
the pommel horse;
the horse vault;
the parallel bars;
the horizontal bar;
all-around competition for men.
Ex. 8. Speak on the topic:
the apparatus for mens gymnastic competitions;
the programme of mens gymnastic competitions;
gymnast performance on the horizontal bar (rings, pommel horse, horse vault, parallel bars).
Task V. Study the vocabulary to the text “Womens events” and translate the sentences:
1. side horse vaultопорный прыжок (для женщин)
e.g. The side horse vault is performed on the same equipment used in mens horse vaulting.
2. uneven parallel barsразновысокие брусья
syn. asymmetrical bars
e.g. In the uneven parallel bars the athlete switches rapidly back and forth
from one bar to the other.
3. balance beamбревно (гимнастическое)
e.g. The balance beam is used only by women in competitions.
4. count vзасчитывать
e.g. Only the higher of the two scores counts.
5. agility nловкость, быстрота
e.g. The athlete swings require great agility.
6. cartwheel n“колесо”
7. back handspringпереворот назад, фляк
8. accompaniment nсопровождение, аккомпанемент
Task VI. Read the text and draw up the programme of the womens gymnastics competition.
Text 3. Womens events
A womens gymnastics competition has four events. In order of performance, they are (1) side horse vault, (2) uneven parallel bars, (3) balance beam, and (4) floor exercise. Most women gymnasts enter all these events.
The side horse vault
The side horse vault is performed on the same equipment used in mens horse vaulting. But women gymnasts vault across the horses width rather than its length. In most competitions, the gymnast vaults twice, but only the higher of the two scores counts.
The uneven parallel bars
In the uneven parallel gymnasts compete on two parallel wooden bars, one about 230 centimetres above the floor and the other about 150 centimetres high. The athlete swings around one bar at a time, performing manoeuvres that require great flexibility and agility. She switches rapidly back and forth from one bar to the other, trying to keep in constant motion.
The balance beam
The balance beam involves a long wooden beam about 10 centimetres wide. Competitors perform jumps, leaps, running steps, and turns on it and try to use the beams full length. The best performers also do cartwheels, back handsprings, and somersaults. The routine must last at least 1 minute 10 seconds but not more than 1 minute 30 seconds.
The floor exercise
The floor exercise is performed on a mat that resembles the one used in the mens floor exercise. Women gymnasts perform this event with a musical accompaniment. Each contestant designs her routine to match the tempo and mood of the music she has selected. She must take at least 1 minute 10 seconds and not more than 1 minute 30 seconds to demonstrate her skill in acrobatics, dancing, and tumbling.
All-around competition for women includes all four events. In national and international competitions, every competitor performs a compulsory routine in each event and then an optional routine in each. International competition is open only to all-around gymnasts.
Vocabulary and Speech Exercises
Ex. 1. Look at the pictures and name the events a womens gymnastic ccompetition consists of. Put the pictures in the events performing order.
Ex. 2. Complete the sentences using the pictures as prompts:
- For the majority of gymnasts and spectators, the most exciting event in womens competition is the …
- The only apparatus which is essentially feminine and has no counterpart in the mens competition is the …
- The exercise performed on the same equipment used in mens horse vaulting is the …
- The exercise performed with a musical accompaniment …
Ex. 3. Find out which English sentence contains Russian equivalent term:
- Uneven bars is the only event for women the only event in which the hands are almost constantly in use, gripping the rails.
- Vaulting uniquely involves the element of flight of the four events in womens gymnastics.
- A beginner must spend many hours learning to move around on the beam in comfort walking, running, skipping, leaping.
- The vaulting runway is sixty to eighty feet long.
- The intricate movements prescribed for uneven bars comprise a number of fear producing elements, as do routines in all the events.
- The balance beam adventure begins with the working surface of the beam itself.
- In gymnastic vaulting there are two pieces of equipment: the horse and takeoff board.
- Floor exercises is commonly regarded as the most beautiful event in gymnastics.
- Uneven bars is a relatively new event in womens gymnastics having been performed for the first time at the 1952 Olympics.
- Somersault is a leap or fall in which one turns heels over head before landing on ones feet.
- To skip is to jump lightly and quickly.
- The best gymnasts perform cartwheels, back handsprings, and somersaults on the beam.
Success in the ...exercises for men and ... for women at the Olympic Games requires that the gymnast develops a stro